Nine Year Sister is a multi-award winning pop/folk duo comprised of singer/songwriters Jennie Wardle and Emma Wardle. The sisters from Stanthorpe, Queensland perform sets of all original music, enchanting audiences with their beautifully constructed melodies and angelic harmonies. Occasionally roping in an additional band member, (a third sister) Lauren Wardle, on drums, Nine Year Sister are set to bring a whole new dynamic to their sound and stage shows in 2023.
The sisters began writing songs around 2010, whilst living in a rural area in the Granite Belt region, pouring emotion and heart into their lyrics. In 2019, Nine Year Sister began their journey into live performance. Jennie and Emma bring a warmth to the stage, blending their sweet voices with that special magic unique to sibling harmonies.
The age gap between Jennie and Emma was the inspiration for the band name 'Nine Year Sister'.
The sisters have independently released two albums: their self-titled work 'Nine Year Sister' in 2018, followed by 'A World Is Waiting' in 2020. Their music has received airplay on the ABC and various other Australian and international radio stations.
Nine Year Sister have won multiple awards for their songwriting and performances, including 1st place in the 2020 ANBC South East QLD Stanthorpe Busking Championships, 1st place in the 2019 Noosa FM '21 Summers' song contest with their original song 'Seaside Dreaming' and 1st place in the 2020 Illawarra Folk Festival song contest with their original song 'Coming Home'. Their song 'Seaside Dreaming' was also nominated as a finalist in the 2020 Queensland Music Awards.
- 1st place - 2019 'Noosa FM 21 Summers songwriting contest' with original song 'Seaside Dreaming'
- 1st place - 2020 Illawarra Folk Festival songwriting contest with original song 'Coming Home'
- 1st place - 2020 ANBC South East QLD Stanthorpe Busking Championships
- Finalists - 2020 Queensland Music Awards with original song 'Seaside Dreaming'
- 1st place - 2020 Australian Cardiovascular Alliance 'Ozhearts songwriting contest' with original song 'Let The Heart Win'
- Original Music Award - 2020 ANBC National Busking Championships Finals
- 1st place - 2021 Open Space Imagineers song competition with original song ‘Imagination’
- 1st place - 2022 Radio TFSC international 'Artist Of The Year'
- Highly Commended - 2023 Queensland Music Awards with original song 'No Such Thing As Goodbye'
“When Nine Year Sister got together, the planets aligned. You have two sisters, nine years apart but perfectly in sync with both their sublime voices and their instinct for writing achingly sweet melodies. Jennie and Emma are proof that music execs searching for the next big thing in mellow pop should start west of the Great Divide.”
- David Iliffe (ABC Southern Queensland)
“I first found out about Nine Year Sister because of a song-writing competition I was judging for the Australian Cardiovascular Alliance. They were seeking songs about heart health and heart awareness – Nine Year Sister were one of the many competitors. Their song, “Let the Heart Win”, stood out to me as being mature, thoughtful, insightful, but above all easily accessible – their melodies and production are contemporary and appealing, and their voices and harmonies are angelically-beautiful.
I have since heard many more of their songs, and find the same appeal, but delivered in different ways, within each one. “Secret is Out”, Nine Year Sister are poised to make their mark on the Australian Music Industry! Check them out now! It’s worth your while!”
- Greg Page (Original Yellow Wiggle)